Recently I managed to activate my webcam and see what is happening in my room over the internet. Here are the steps, in case I need them in the future:
- Dynamic DNS:
- Use a Dynamic DNS service to access the computer, in case the IP Adress changes.
- Update the IP with a script that runs over cron.
After these preparation steps, I go to the remote computer and:
- Access the computer with ssh over the dynamic DNS address.
- Stream video and audio to the internet with a command like
(put it all in 1 line)
- Start VLC on the remote computer and watch the stream like <dynamic dns address>:1234 (or any other port that I have put in dst above)